New Item Acquired!

At last it’s done! (well… done for now) I started this project back in February, the bulk of everything was done in February but after a while I worked on it on and off, it was manly redoing the coat of paint. :)

Anyways, so I made myself an ubersaw coz I was bored. It’s mainly made from cardboard :D

Now if you don’t know the ubersaw is a unlockable weapon for the Medic in TF2, and if you haven’t noticed yet, I am a fair bit of a tf2 fan :P

So I wanted to make an ubersaw that would be scale to me. I started off with a few images of the medic holding an ubersaw and worked out an arm-to-ubersaw ratio. Measured my arm and in photoshop I printed out a 1:1 scale of the ubersaw.

Using the 1:1 I got tracing paper and broke the ubersaw into pieces I could make.

I started off with the handle, originally I had tried to make the whole thing out of layers of cardboard, but cutting out that shape over and over wasn’t working, instead I got balsa wood and used them as support “beams” between two sheets of cardboard.

The “blade” part was made from cardboard too.

The blade was broken up into parts as well and all the little parts were made from more cardboard and tape and would slide into each other forming the whole blade.

I wanted to try and harden the cardboard so I went with a mix of using newspaper and tissue paper paper mache.

The handle and the blade were keeps as separate parts for most of the making, it wasn’t untill paint did I stick them together with a bit of super glue and paper mache. But I often liked putting them next to each other to see what the final product would look like.

The middle tube bit, which I have no idea what is called was made from a thick cardboard tube I had laying around. And at this point I had run out of masking tape and was using duct tape.

It was at this point where I had started to stop working on the ubersaw. And thus forgot to take photos XD (hahahaha fail) But anyways, after a paper mache layer over the tube and some sand papering down some bumps, I used a wooden chopstick as the needle. Glued the blade and handle together and got to work on painting the thing. I ended up with a number of coats since I was never really happy.

I’m quite proud of the final product, I don’t have the space or tools to make things out of wood. It’s not perfect and it is made about 95% cardboard but I’m really happy with it. I’m thinking about throwing some stage blood on it and calling it a final :P But yup, I has an ubersaw now :D

Next time I make something I’ll try and take more photos ^_^

 

Advertisements